Saturday, November 8, 2008

So...I got my haircut.


I don't usually enjoy the forced conversation with the person cutting my hair but this mornings exchange was even more obscure than usual.

She was washing my hair and I was contemplating whether these sinks were designed for extreme discomfort, whether it's just me that finds them painful or whether everyone else does too but nobody admits to it - like the "Emperor's New Clothes".

Anyway, she aksed me where I was from and I replied "England" which led to a surprised gasp and all that carry on, she told me she liked my accent then continued with what she was doing. I thought nothing more of it.

Then she asked what city I was from I replied "near London" to which she asked "is that like Rome or Florence?" not knowing quite where this was going I said "I have been to those cities" Then out of nowhere she said "Italian men are very hansome" which I thought was odd, but I don't know - perhaps they are - so I let that comment slide by. This was my first clue that there had been a communication error.

She then commented "Your English is very good for someone who's only been here a year!" This awkward exchange continued and it finally dawned on me that she had mistaken "England" for "Italy" - the accent had apparently not given her a clue as to my nationality.

So now I had realized the error I did what every self respecting person would do....

...I shut my eyes and pretended to be asleep until she was done! Then gave a big tip and ran away.

1 comment:

Ange said...

HAHA! I wish I could have witnessed this awkward conversation. But...she asked if London were close to Florence or Rome? I think you should have also left her a geography book.